Hi San Diego Domers -
Wow, did you see Skylar Diggins’ final regular season game vs. UConn last night? What a great way to finish her last regular season game with the Irish – beating UConn at home in triple overtime on her way to Big East Player of the Week honors! I hope you were able to catch it on ESPN2…FYI for those who haven’t yet “liked” our Facebook page, we try to keep you appraised of ND relevant events (like televised sports & local news stories of ND interest) more-or-less as they come up, so that’s the place to stay the most up-to-date with various Irish happenings.
Lots of great opportunities coming up to hang out with your friends in the Notre Dame community:
- On March 20th, Notre Dame Professionals is organizing a fabulous Petco Park Tour & social, hosted by Padres co-owner (and my 1990 classmate) Tom Seidler. If you missed the invitation in your inbox, you can head over to our LinkedIn page for details.
- On March 22nd, Former Irish football player John Carney will host his annual “Dinner with the Pros” charity fundraiser at La Costa Resort & Spa. This is a great chance to support a fellow Domer’s efforts to give back to our community while being waited on by local celebrity athletes. John continutes to be a great supporter of the ND Club, please consider supporting his event! More detail on this flyer.
- May is the annual Hesburgh Month of Service. As a birthday gift, ND Clubs around the world perform community service in Fr. Ted’s name, and the NDAA presents him with a book listing all the events. Here in San Diego we’re working on a few ideas, stay tuned as we get closer to May!
- June 11-13, there will be a Senior Alumni Retreat at the Serra Retreat Center in Malibu. Contact Jack Gerken for details. Download the registration form here.
- Don’t forget to pencil in July 20th & 21st for our annual Charity Golf Tournament & Dinner at The Farms at Rancho Santa Fe. This year, dinner will be on Sunday and Monday will be just for the golfers. We’re super excited to have Irish Heisman Winner John Huarte as our dinner speaker! For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’re up to a short road trip, and love Irish sports, there are a few opportunities coming up:
- This Friday (3/8) through Sunday (3/10), the 8-2 Irish Baseball team will be playing three games in Los Angeles vs. UCLA, USC and Oklahoma. The following Tuesday (3/12), they head slightly north for a game against UC Santa Barbara. You can find more details from the UND.com baseball page.
- The Irish Softball team has won 8 straight since they took #1 Oklahoma to extra innings in their visit to San Diego. They’re back in So. Cal. on 3/15 and 3/16 to play in the UC Riverside tournament. The Irish softball schedule is here.
- One non-event to report: unfortunately the Irish crew teams will not be coming out for the annual Crew Classic in San Diego, a bit of a disappointment if you’ve enjoyed that annual March/April event on Mission Bay. Hopefully they’ll return next year!
Some quick public recognition:
- Thanks to Michele Perry for organizing an Irish team to Finish Chelsea’s Run, and thanks to everyone who showed up early last Saturday morning to represent!
- Thanks to Frank Whitton for organizing another great Senior Alumni Luncheon this past Thursday, and to Michael Davis, Battalion Chief for the Carlsbad Fire Department for giving a great presentation. Watch for the next event…and you don’t need to be a Senior Alum to attend!
All of this great programming is only possible through the help of volunteers like Michele and Frank … if you’d like to help us organize Club activities, we’re always looking for more hands. In particular we could use help with Young Alumni events, and with organizing the Charity Golf Tournament & Dinner in July (committee meetings are ongoing). Drop me an e-mail if you’re interested in helping with those or any other events!
Those of you who spend time browsing our web page may have noticed that there’s a lot of great stuff in the right margin … Club Calendar, links to our social media, news feeds, etc. We’ve recently updated the “Pray.nd.edu” to the more current “Faith.nd.edu” link, and as of this weekend, there are three webcam links — South Quad, The Dome & Basilica, and the Morris Inn renovation. As I write this on Tuesday night, they seem to be getting covered in snow, but check back whenever you need your visual fix!
Our annual membership drive continues, and those of you who haven’t already renewed online should be receiving our dues mailer soon. See the post by Tim Schenck, our amazing Membership Director for more on the benefits of membership. If you’d like to join or renew today, you can do so online, or you can download the flyer and send it via regular mail.
Finally, if your company is hiring, or if you’re looking for new opportunities don’t forget to join our Club LinkedIn page and to check our website’s Jobs Board. As I post this update, I’ll also post a summary of new posts to the Jobs Board in the past few weeks.
Ken Stimeling ’90
The Notre Dame Club of San Diego